Durham Sports United is a community initiative investing in Durham’s young athletes. The athletic experience s a natural learning environment for developing leadership skills, empathy-building and increasing overall community mental, physical and emotional health.
The vision is to unify and engage high school athletes from public, private and charter schools who share a common values of Community, Integrity, Accountability, Resilience, and Perseverance. We are seeking out community collaborators to make this vision a reality.
Target Audience: athletes who are in the esteem-building and self-actualization stage of motivation in their sport development.
- Become a better athlete and better citizen.
- Develop better communication skills.
- Reduce anxiety/depression and boost resilience in the high school to college transition.
- Enhance recruitability if college sport participation is desired.
- Connect your voice to Durham leaders in order to gain future employment and mentorship opportunities
- Athletic Curriculum
- Name, Image, and Likeness Understanding.
- Social Media Power You Have.
- Mistakes happen! What to do.
- Injury Prevention.
- Strength and Conditioning.
- Team Building Curriculum
- Activism in Sport; History.
- Abuse reporting and consulting. What is abuse?
- Gender bias.
- Building excellence, inclusively.
- Community Building Curriculum
- What is Civic Engagement?
- Your Voice.
- Advocacy and Allies.
- Consulting and Communication.
- Leadership Curriculum
- Fun athletic events to keep your heart pumping.
- Universal competitive games for cross training.
- Meet n’ Greet with City Leaders / Open Discourse.
How does this benefit the Durham Community?
Durham wants to BE STRONG:
- Build future leaders of Durham regardless of background, income, neighborhood, or previous experience.
- Empower teens in civic Engagement.
- Showcase Durham’s competitive sports teams.
- Build greater Trust with accountability and transparency.
- See anti-racism in action.
- Open minds to possibilities of community yet to be imagined.
- Network for future employers across public and private sectors.
- Educate our youth on their rights.
Committee Leaders: Jacki Silar, David Stein and Jen Oldham. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in sponsoring this program.